Palumbo Shows Support for Longwood School’s Kick Off Of “Operation Safe Stop”
May 2, 2017
Local Law Enforcement, teachers, and legislators gather at Longwood High School to kick off “Operation Safe Stop” last week.
Assemblyman Anthony Palumbo (R,C,I,Ref-New Suffolk) showed his support for Longwood School District’s hosting of the New York Association for Pupil Transportation and the New York State Governor’s Traffic Safety Committee statewide campaign, known as “Operation Safe Stop,” at a press conference held at the Longwood High School last week. Longwood School District, part of which is located in Palumbo’s Assembly District, is joining these organizations to draw awareness to the dangerous practice of motorists passing stopped school buses that are picking up or dropping off students. Last week’s event is the first of many public forums that will be held around the state. “This is a very serious problem that can be seen all over the state, not just here on Long Island,” said Palumbo. “When a motorist passes a stopped school bus that has its red flashing stop sign out, they are not only putting themselves at risk but also the lives of our children. It’s extremely dangerous to pass a school bus, there are too many blind spots that can obstruct not only the driver’s view, but also the child’s view of the road.” School officials pointed out that 35 students have been hit by drivers who illegally passed stopped busses in the last four years. There are roughly 50,000 motorists passing school buses illegally every day, and that puts over 2.3 million children statewide at risk. “By joining together with educators, law enforcement officers, teachers and parents, we can spread awareness and educate people about the dangers that face our children when they pass stopped school buses,” said Palumbo. “I fully support this initiative and commend Longwood School District for kicking off this awareness campaign right here in my district. Hopefully, through education and awareness, we can save lives.”