Oaks Comments on Lake Ontario Flooding State of Emergency
I am grateful that Gov. Cuomo today announced a state of emergency for the Lake Ontario region of New York State, including northern Wayne, Cayuga and Oswego counties.
For the past two weeks, I have joined with many area state legislators to alert the governor to the rising level of Lake Ontario that has resulted in flooding across our area that is threatening to worsen because of the continued inclement weather that is expected in coming days.
I will continue to advocate for:
- Help for our communities for the continuing emergency that threatens properties along Lake Ontario, its bays and connected waterways;
- Federal and state funding to repair or replace damaged property;
- Federal and state funding for mitigation measures to protect property;
- Expediting the permitting process through the state Department of Environmental Conservation and other oversight agencies for such mitigation measures; and
- The rejection of Plan 2014.