Important LIRR Double Track Project Construction and Detour Information
Assemblywoman Kimberly Jean-Pierre (D-Babylon) would like to make Long Island residents aware of the following information pertaining to the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) Double Track Project. The Double Track Project will improve service and reliability on the LIRR’s Ronkonkoma Branch by reducing delays and enabling more off-peak service in both directions.
During the weekend of November 17, the LIRR will be under construction from Farmingdale Station through Deer Park Station. Construction will include:
Grade Crossing Pad Installation – Straight Path in Wyandanch, in the Town of Babylon
- The LIRR will install a new concrete grade crossing at Straight Path in Wyandanch in the Town of Babylon.
- Work at the grade crossing will take place from Friday, November 17, 10:00PM through Sunday, November 19, 10:00PM and run continuously through the night.
- The grade crossing at Straight Path will be fully closed during this phase of construction. Detour information is as follows:
- Southbound: Proceed south on Straight Path to Merritt Avenue make a right and proceed west to S 18th Street. Make a left and proceed south to Long Island Avenue. Make a left and proceed east to Straight Path.
- Northbound: Proceed north on Straight Path to Long Island Avenue, make a left and proceed west to 18th Street, make a right and proceed north to Merritt Avenue. Make a right and proceed east to Straight Path.
- Temporary pavement will be installed at the grade crossing before the road is reopened to traffic.
Wyandanch Station Platform Renovation – East End of Platform Closure
- The LIRR will close the eastern half of the platform at Wyandanch Station starting Saturday, November 18 at 12:01AM through May 2018.
- During the closure, the LIRR will be replacing the entire platform. The new platform will include a snow melt system, new pedestrian overpass with elevators, new canopies and shelter sheds, and new amenities such as help points and WiFi.
- To accommodate this, a temporary ADA ramp will be constructed on the west end of the platform adjacent to Straight Path and additional ADA parking will be located near the ramp.
- Temporary access routes and detours will be installed to guide pedestrians to the western platform.
- During the weekend of November 17 train service will be suspended and busing will be provided from Hicksville through Ronkonkoma.
- Special weekend timetables are available at stations and at www.mta.info/lirr.