FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
March 9, 2016
Assembly Speaker Heastie Implements Sanctions Against Assemblymember Angela Wozniak
Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie today announced that he is immediately implementing sanctions recommended by the bi-partisan Assembly Ethics and Guidance Committee concerning the conduct of Assemblymember Angela Wozniak.
Specifically, the Committee recommended the following sanctions against Assemblymember Wozniak:
Letter from the Speaker
- That a letter of admonition be issued publicly to Assemblymember Wozniak by the Speaker on behalf of the Assembly, enumerating the findings of the Committee, and indicating that Assemblymember Wozniak's conduct violated the Assembly's Policy Prohibiting Harassment, Discrimination and Retaliation as it pertains to retaliation and is inconsistent with the standards of conduct to which members of the Assembly should be held;
- That Assemblymember Wozniak is hereby directed to cease publicizing details of the investigation and to cease making disparaging statements against her former Director of Legislation, unless reasonably necessary to defend herself in the event of any claims brought against her in an administrative agency or a court of law.
- That the Assembly will make efforts to place Assemblymember Wozniak's former Director of Legislation into a comparable job with comparable pay and benefits and until such placement has been made, he shall receive pay at the same rate at which he was earning during his employment, beginning February 9, 2016 through and including February 8, 2017, or the end of Assemblymember Wozniak's term, whichever is sooner. All such pay is to be allotted solely from Assemblymember Wozniak's staff budget, and her staff budget shall not be increased from its current amount;
- That Assemblymember Wozniak is precluded from having any interns working in her Assembly office or her district office; this prohibition applies to interns assigned by the Assembly as well as any interns that might be engaged through unofficial channels;
- That an independent investigator conduct climate surveys of all of Assemblymember Wozniak's Assembly employees at least semi-annually to ensure that there is no repeat of the conduct; and
- That Assemblymember Wozniak be required to attend immediate and comprehensive supplemental sexual harassment and retaliation prevention training.
Letter from the Ethics Committee