2019 Paw-Print for a More Humane New York!
The animals of New York State need your help!
While societys views about animals have changed dramatically, our laws have not kept pace! With a new progressive supermajority in Albany, we have an opportunity to make real, lasting change to the laws that protect animals and prevent abuse.
I am the sponsor of the five bills below that together, if passed, would represent a sea change in the way we treat animals. With your support, together we can help to protect animals and make New York State the most humane state in the country.
- Cat declawing, the surgical amputation of a cats digit at the first joint, is painful, inhumane and medically unnecessary. My bill, A1303, will ban the practice in the State of New York.
- The sale of fur relies on brutality and animal abuse. Fur is neither functional nor fashionable. Stopping fur sales helps to stop animal abuse. My bill, A.5040, will ban the sale and transfer of fur apparel statewide.
- The sale of cats, dogs and rabbits in pet stores fuels the poor breeding at puppy, kitten and bunny mills. We must end the puppy mill to pet store pipeline now. My bill, A.6298, will prohibit the sale of dogs, cats and rabbits in pet stores, and instead allows pet stores to make space available to shelters to display animals for adoption.
- An animal abuse registry will help ensure that animals are not adopted out to known abusers or people with a dangerous predilection to harm animals. My bill, A.1090, will create a private database for animal rescues to search before they adopt out animals.
- Bellas Bill, A.342, will revolutionize animal law enforcement and protection by moving the animal crimes from the Agriculture and Markets section of law to the Penal Law, where all other crimes are housed.
By no means is this an exhaustive list I am also the sponsor of legislation to make cruelty to wildlife a felony, to help finance and reform our shelter system, to ban tail docking, cruel gestation crates and dozens more. I will be fighting for each of these and more!
The bills above are my 2019 Paw-Print, and I hope you will stand with me to see these bills become the law of the land in New York State.By signing the petition below you can help us achieve this vision. By adding your name to this list, you will be signing up to receive periodic action alerts from me with information about how you can help. After you sign, please share this petition with your friends, family, loved ones and anyone you know who loves animals!
Linda B. Rosenthal
Member of Assembly 67 AD