Assemblyman David G. McDonough (R,C, I-Merrick) and the Nassau County Traffic Safety Board will be conducting a child car seat safety check. The event will be held next Friday, May 21, from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. behind the Tri-County Flea Market in the Town of Hempstead Municipal Parking Lot, Levittown.
The problem confronting most parents and caregivers is they are unaware of the dangers an improperly installed car seat can pose to their child, said McDonough. A National Highway Traffic Safety Administration study showed that seven out of ten children are improperly restrained. This is far too high a percentage, and I hope this event will educate parents on how to properly protect their children from injury. I encourage all parents to attend this event.
Some of the most common child safety seat installation mistakes are:
- not using the right seat for a childs size and age;
- not placing the seat in the correct direction;
- incorrect installation of the seat in relation to the vehicles air bags;
- incorrect installation and tightness of the seat to the vehicle seat; and
- using a defective or broken seat.
All attendees must schedule an appointment. For more information, to schedule an appointment, or to discuss legislative matters, please contact Assemblyman McDonoughs district office by calling (516) 409-2070.