1. What are the most pressing issues the New York State Legislature should address in the 2023 legislative session?
9. A public criminal history often prevents individuals from finding housing and steady employment. Clean Slate legislation has been proposed that would allow for an automatic sealing of certain criminal convictions. The bill would apply to records of misdemeanor and felony convictions subject to certain conditions. These conditions require that the individual not have a pending criminal charge in this state, not currently be on probation or parole for the eligible conviction, and that the individual is not currently required to register as a sex offender.
10. The Legislative commission on the future of the Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) was established in 2022 to develop and present to the legislature an action plan for implementing a true public power model for residents of Long Island and the Rockaways. The goals of the commission are to avoid paying tens of millions of dollars in annual management fees to an outside utility, to create greater transparency and clearer lines of accountability for the safe, reliable, and affordable delivery of electricity to ratepayers, and give LIPA's customers a greater say in how this essential service is provided.
18. Chattel slavery, reconstruction, Jim Crow, segregation, mass incarceration, and its remnants have created inequities across all aspects of society, resulting in the systemic substandard treatment and conditions for people of African descent in the United States. According to the Oxford Dictionary, reparations means “the action of making amends for a wrong done; amends; compensation.” In addition, are five forms of reparations: restitution, compensation, rehabilitation, satisfaction, and guarantees of non-repetition. Would you support a bill to establish the ‘New York state community commission on reparations remedies’ that would examine and issue a report on the feasibility of reparations for Black New Yorkers?
Yes, I support a commission on reparations remedies.
No, I oppose a commission on reparations remedies.
19. Properly maintained roads are essential to Nassau County residents, businesses, schools and emergency service providers. Numerous government agencies construct, maintain and repair roads.
Please name a street in need of repair:
20. The recent and continued renovation of Elmont Road Park has received praise from local officials and residents for revitalizing the community, especially during summer months. What other areas, facilities, or public parks do you believe should be renovated or improved in some way?
21. What events would you like to see take place in the community over the course of the coming year? (sports, community service, educational, cultural, etc.)
22. Are there any problems in the community that you would like to see addressed?
23. A new legislative session welcomes the opportunity to introduce new legislation. If you could propose a new law or modify existing law, what would you recommend?
24. Do you have any additional thoughts or comments?