The Office of NYS Assembly Member Zohran K. Mamdani is seeking a part time Office Manager and Caseworker to join our team.
The Office Manager and Caseworker supports the Assembly Member and Chief of Staff in organizing information, creating and managing administrative systems, and liaising with the State Assembly. This team member also provides crucial constituent services to the members of our district. We are looking for an individual with zeal for creating systems of organization and tackling bureaucratic red tape, compassion for constituents, and a commitment to advocacy for working class people.
- 20 hours/week - in office a minimum of three days/week
- $26/hour + full benefits
- In person, based in the Astoria District Office, plus occasional travel to Albany (paid by Office)
- Start date: September 6, 2021
- Establishes and maintains administrative systems, creating clear workflows and easy access to information
- Oversees the physical office, including its daily opening, ordering office supplies, tracking expenses, etc.
- Manages communication to the office, including emails and phone calls
- Serves as main liaison with the Assembly, including maintaining comprehensive records and documents, as well as coordinating travel
- Plans and organizes events and oversees the team event calendar
- Serves as one of the Office’s primary representatives to constituents
- Coordinates effective and timely responses to constituent inquiries (including in-person, and via phone and email)
- Assists constituents with addressing concerns including, but not limited to: housing, health care, education and employment issues
- Professional administrative experience in creating organizational systems and using standard office equipment and programs (Microsoft Office Suite, GoogleDrive; plus for Airtable)
- Comfort/experience with public-facing position and managing a physical space
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and work well under pressure
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others
- Excellent communication skills, including use of judgment and discretion
- Experience in social service delivery or community organizing is preferred
- Familiarity with and passion for working with the diverse, multicultural, and immigrant communities of the district
- Commitment to social justice and fighting for poor and working class people
- Priority will be given to applicants from AD 36
- English proficiency is required; priority will be given to applicants who speak Spanish, Bangla or Greek
- Required to live in New York State upon beginning of employment
Submit a 1-page resume, a 1-page cover letter, and names and contact information for three professional references in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 13.
Please keep in mind that we are looking for cover letters that tell us why you are a great candidate and do not simply repeat information on your resume.
Due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to respond to each applicant. Applicants who advance to the interview stage will be notified by August 20th.
The Assembly is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of disability with regard to employment.