Donna Lupardo:
Update on Energy
and the Environment

Assemblywoman Donna A. Lupardo
Dear Neighbor,

This is the second mailing that I am sending with information and resources that may be helpful to you and your family. The focus is on energy and the environment, including our enjoyment of the great outdoors.

As you may know, I spend a lot of my time working on these issues. As a member of the Assembly Environmental Conservation Committee, I have had the chance to pass legislation that protects our families and neighborhoods from contamination. I have also been able to weigh in on important decisions being made in Washington about exposure to trichloroethylene (TCE).

It’s important that we do our part to not only protect the environment, but to reduce energy consumption as well. Given the cost of fuel and the concerns about global climate change, it makes sense to make positive changes now. We’re working to make the state “greener” and to make it easier for residents and businesses to do the same.

And finally, young hunters have something to be proud of. Because of their hard work, Governor Paterson signed the Junior Big-Game Hunting bill that I cosponsored allowing 14- and 15-year-olds to hunt deer and bear.

I also want you to know that my office is available for all unanswered questions and suggestions. Please feel free to contact my Binghamton office at 723-9047 or by e-mail at

Donna A. Lupardo
Member of Assembly

Gas Drilling
This fall, the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) will hold public hearings on the need for additions to the Generic Environmental Impact Statement (GEIS) needed to permit gas drilling in New York State. The first set of hearings will solicit input on what should be added to the environmental review. A second round of hearings will then be convened to get reactions to what the DEC has decided to include in the new GEIS. There will be ample opportunity for everyone to be heard throughout the hearing process. The goal is to allow gas drilling to occur, while making sure that our environment is protected. In the meantime, landowners are strongly encouraged to seek legal counsel before signing any leasing agreements. Landowner consortiums are being formed and information about landowner rights is available at the DEC Web site ( or by calling 518-402-8056.

photo Assemblywoman Lupardo testifying before the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works regarding TCE exposure.

Minimizing TCE Exposure
Both the state Senate and Assembly also passed legislation (A.10952/S.8634) I authored with Senator Libous to help protect tenants from indoor air contamination. The bill would close the current gaps in the law that have allowed landlords to leave renters uninformed of known or suspected environmental contamination, such as trichloroethylene (TCE). Property owners would be required to provide tenants with a notice that test results are available, a fact sheet from the New York State Department of Health identifying the compound or contaminant of concern, along with the guidelines for indoor air quality and health risks associated with exposure. I also introduced my own legislation (A.11659) to strengthen the TCE exposure guidelines in New York while we are waiting for a national standard.

Building Green
I authored the State Green Building Construction Act (A.2005/S.5442) in response to rising energy costs and new developments in green technology. The bill, which passed unanimously in both the state Senate and Assembly, requires that the state develop green building standards for all new construction or substantial renovation of New York State government buildings. Given the large number of facilities owned and operated by state government, new standards would result in decreased energy use, increased use of recycled materials and potential cost savings in operations and maintenance over a building’s lifetime. Locally, the Southern Tier Homebuilders and Remodelers Association has information about how to “green” your own home and what incentives may be available to you. They can be reached at 785-9285.

Broome Recycles
Broome County’s Recycling Program recycles more than any other county program in New York State. The Broome County Landfill accepts electronics such as computers, monitors and printers. You can also dispose of hazardous household waste such as pesticides, paint and fire extinguishers. Call 778-2250 for drop-off dates and times.

Help with Erosion and Drainage
The Broome County Soil & Water Conservation District provides free technical assistance and information to property owners to help with issues concerning soil, water, agriculture and other natural resources on your property. You can contact them at 724-9268 to find out more or to schedule a visit.

Junior Big-Game Hunting
A new law extends big-game hunting privileges to 14- and 15-year-olds in New York State. The junior big-game hunting license now allows young hunters to take deer and bear. It requires that junior hunters be directly supervised by an experienced hunter 21 years or older at all times during a hunting excursion. Extending the provisions of the junior license to big game will help manage the expanding deer population. You can purchase a sporting license in New York by calling 1-866-933-2257.

Important Phone Numbers

Air Quality
EPA Radon Hot Line 800-458-1158 ext. 27556
NYS Division of Air Resources 518-402-8452

Emergency Numbers
Central New York Regional Poison Control Center 800-222-1222
NYSEG Electric Emergency 800-572-1131
NYSEG Natural Gas Emergency 800-572-1121
NYS Attorney General Environmental Crimes Hot Line 1-800-771-7755

Endicott Environmental Advocacy Groups
Resident Action Group of Endicott (RAGE) 748-4072
Western Broome Environmental Stakeholder Coalition (WBESC) 729-4571

Green Building & Remodeling
NYS Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) 866-697-3732
New York Energy $MART Hot Line 877-697-6278
Southern Tier Home Builders & Remodelers Association 785-9285

Natural Gas Information
NYS Bureau of Oil and Gas Regulation (NYS DEC) 518-402-8056
Dig Safely NY 800-962-7962

Outdoor Recreation
Broome County Parks & Recreation 778-2193
Sporting Licenses (NYS DEC) 866-933-2257
NYS Fish, Wildlife & Marine Resources 518-402-8883
NYS Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation 518-474-0456

Broome County Division of Solid Waste Management 778-2250

Safe Drinking Water
Broome County Environmental Health Services 778-2887
EPA Safe Drinking Water Hot Line 800-426-4791

Soil, Water and Agriculture
Broome County Soil & Water Conservation District 724-9268
Cornell Cooperative Extension 772-8953
NY Farm Bureau 800-342-4143

Water Billing
City of Binghamton 772-7024
Town of Vestal 748-1514 ext. 315
Village of Endicott, Endwell, West Corners 757-2443
Village of Johnson City 797-2523

Workplace Safety
NYS Public Employee Safety and Health (PESH) 721-8211
Occupational Safety and Health Administration 212-337-2378