Assemblywoman Carrie Woerner (D-Round Lake) announced the winners of her 2016 Women of Distinction Awards and Essay Contest. The winners were recognized at a ceremony at Saratoga Arts in Saratoga Springs on Sunday, May 1. The Women of Distinction Awards honor women in Saratoga and Washington counties who make a difference in the community in various categories such as humanitarian work, entrepreneurship, and military service.
We have much to be proud of in our region, said Assemblywoman Woerner. It is an honor to recognize and commend these women who strive every day to make our community a great place to live. I extend my thanks to everyone who nominated a special woman for these awards.
The winners of this years Women of Distinction Awards are:
- Military Service: Karolyn De Vito (nominated by Janis Lumley)
- Humanitarian Work: Karen Flewelling (nominated by Martha Strohl)
- The Arts: Linda Hermans (nominated by Daniel Garcia)
- Education: Theresa Ibbotson (nominated by Craig Ibbotson)
- Young Person, 18 and under: Jessica Kurtz (nominated by Beverly Lazar)
- Entrepreneurship: Kim Lambert (nominated by Tom LeCours)
- Community Service: Holly LaTorre (nominated by Megan Quillinan)
- Arts Education: Jodi Leight (nominated by Anna Belden)
- Community Engagement Award: Maryann McGeorge and Susan Sanderson (nominated by Leslie Parke)
- Business: Kathy Nichols-Tomkins (nominated by Suzanne Becker)
- Health Care: Megan Scaccia (nominated by Juliana Scaccia)
- Community Engagement Award: Cindy Wian (nominated by Jessica Schwerd)
Winners of the essay contest, which was open to students in grades 612, were also announced. Entrants wrote 500-word essays about women who have inspired them or who have made an impact on society. The winners of the essay contest are:
- Autumn Connor, essay on Alice Austen
- Cody Durr, essay on Malala Yousafzai
- Sidney Gregorek, essay on Trung Trac and Trung Nhi
- Gabrielle Wood, essay on Margaret Sanger
In anticipation of Mothers Day, Assemblywoman Woerner also honored 18 local mothers who were nominated by their children for their contributions to our communities and their families. Mothers who received special recognition include Heather Baker, Amber Barber, Media Caron, Marie Colucci, Kristina Dubrey, Dawn Giroux, Bethany Gulick, Angel Lackner, Kathy McShane, Jamie Myers, MaryEileen Parnham, Jessica Rockhill, Julie Rodriguez, Lisa Schwartz, Katherine Smith, Clara Somoza, Aimee Welsh, and Shelby Wimet-Himelrick.